Prologue

For twenty two years I, Snowy Owl, have presided over the Songs of Winter Remembrance. Now I step forward to fulfill my duties once again.

When the sun's path turns southward, and twilight descends early upon the forest, when bears sleep in secret dens and all wild creatures watching from afar are lulled by the cold of the season; when mountain winds keep malevolent forces from the village, then the people draw near to the warmth of the fire. Here in the Winter Lodge we gather to hear the old stories and dance the dances of the ancestors.

From the days of the first Snowy Owl these tales were handed down for our celebration. Our fathers and grandfathers learned them from their fathers and grandfathers. Faithfully I pass on to you what the generations have heard on these nights.

We know that when the founder of the Kaw-Seth clans set out on his island quest, he met the Changer himself who taught him the forgotten ways and set in his eyes the visions of the ages. He brought back the living coal from the sacred pit and kindled the fire that warms us here tonight. He spoke the same stories told to me by my great grandfather -- who carved the bob cat speaking stick that I hold -- giving me the right to sing the songs of the tribe and to wear the family masks.

My father passed the speaking stick to me. He has since joined his brothers in the hunting grounds of the dawn. From him I carefully learned all the exploits of our ancestors and the meaning of mysteries, which are about to be re-lived by the young dancers. Before the fall winds blow, each of these sons of the tribe will climb to mountaintops or canoe to far islands to pray in the spirit of the Changer on their own quest.

One day with the help of Wonderful Doer, I will make the final quest and take my place before the fires of the ancestors. When I am gone, from among my grandsons will be bequeathed the name Snowy Owl, teller of the ancestor’s adventures. So it has been from generations long past to ensure that the Kaw-Seth soul lives on for ages to come.

May the One Standing and Moving join to hear our songs.

Together, each of us, in the light of these shifting flames launch from the shores of daily cares to drift upon the waters of sacred thoughts. Let us leave familiar ways behind to paddle far into the lost places -- a world where past and present, heroes and dancers, people and animals become one and earthly and heavenly mingle like sparks flying up and our drums and rattles fill the highest skies with the songs of our people.

Be still and listen to the ever-living memories of the Kaw-Seth heroes. Watch the young men dance the history of tribe and family. Welcome all you witnesses of this year’s Winter Songs!

Next chapter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment